• BCD will be closing as of March 31st. For details please check News and Updates!

Games What's your current obsession?

Teh_Sid

See yah space cowboy...
Staff member
Key Holders
We've had a few game threads already but I'm bored so we're getting another. Wanna fight about it? Good.

I tend to drift between a few games at a time to keep from burning out on one in particular. But one game lately has kept pulling me back in consistently.

The Long Dark

Go ahead and get the penis jokes out of the way. Got 'em? Good. Let's move on.

It's one of those survival games but the true enemy is mother nature. She really breaks yer balls constantly. Trying not to freeze to death has never been so fun before. There's of course a lot of managing gear and staring at inventory screens but between that and trying not to die, from hypothermia to your friendly wolf and bear maulings the game is pretty gorgeous.

One of the more beautiful and terrifying things to see. No spoilers.

I've been playing it off and on for a year I think. Recently a new patch came out so I decided to jump right back in. Of course I had no idea where I left off in my old saves, so I just took the plunge and started new. There's an episodic story mode with 2 chapters already out, more to come in the future. It's pretty good too, who doesn't like to hear Commander Shepard (both genders) whine and complain?

There's also a sandbox mode where you just run around and try not to die. Varying levels of difficulty, if yer stupid and careless even the low levels can wreck you pretty quick.

I started up another save in sandbox mode and spent nearly 28 hours total running around trying to establish myself. I found a rifle, killed a few wolves, skinned them and made a shirt out of their hides to scare them off. (It didn't really work but it's the effort that counts). I also downed a moose with my last bullet and had 80 lbs of moose meet to lug around. Thankfully mother nature also makes a great refrigerator when its constantly below freezing.

Then I got cocky. I trekked across a few maps for a key destination (again no spoilers) and got stalked by a wolf. I was running low on ammo and didn't want to waste more resources. I tried skirting around him but he kept following. Then I made my first mistake. I ran for it and walked right onto weak ice, spladoosh, instant hypothermia. I need to find shelter and fast. But there's nothing but flat open land around me and howling winds. My clothes are pretty much frozen by the time I find a hunter's blind and try to save myself there. I start a fire to warm myself up and keep the wolves back. But I didn't quite understand the game mechanics on hypothermia and frostbite, since I never got that bad before. I laid down to rest and the weather got worse. Needless to say I didn't last too much longer after that. But I at least went all Liam Neeson on the nearby wolves before I died.

So I was dust. 28 or so hours down the tubes. I died by my own arrogance. But that didn't stop me from living and learning and starting it back up once again. Next time went worse, a pack of wolves caught me in a snow storm trying to find more gear. All in all it's a fun time. I feel the need to keep going, that stupid little impulse of 'this god damn game won't break me!'.

So, what's been sucking away all your free time? Post it below and have fun with it.

Touch of Insanity

The Mad Queen
Staff member
Queen Of The Bedroom
Rune Factory 4.

Because I need to marry this hot piece of kitsune ass

I go through bouts of playing a game for months and ALWAYS get to around the same point before I get distracted by something else and restart the game. I think I've married him once before, but I honestly forgot if we were just dating or actually married XD

It has lots of other amazing choices for both men and women (sadly you have to play the straight relationship card if you wanna get who you want. I'm thinking of playing as a boy next time just to woo the ladies.)

If you've heard of Harvestmoon, or even Strew Valley? Something like that. It's basically the same idea. Run a farm, get married, make friends, go to events. But unlike Harvestmoon you get to battle monsters! I'm finally playing the game on hard. I also own Rune Factory Tides of Destiny but never make it very far in that one literally because I can't carry it wherever I go and can only play at home.

Blizzer

Professional Stalker
Staff member
Key Holders
I'm always obsessed with Doom, but I've been having a lot of fun lately (hahahaha, haven't played games in three months) with How to Survive. A survival (duh) zombie horror game. I love games where you gotta find all sorts of items to make your own weapons and armors.

jyncka

Mechanical Master
Staff member
King Of The Bedroom
Cultist Simulator.

I don't think I like this game at this point but it's frustrated me enough that I come back to see if I can get one of the real endings. It is good, it's got a cool concept and artwork and music but how they executed the game, one thing in particular that everyone has commented on, is it's biggest weakness. I foresee myself returning to Sunless Sea pretty soon, which I also get obsessed with.

SVII

-Skrees in Adorable-
The "villain" in the "Ghost in the Shell" movie. I love love loved him so much. I kind of want a roleplay surrounding that sort of... Human brain in a robotic body, but... Hnng... Too. Many. Roleplays. Already.

Oh... And the Felix brand Lingonberries for my yogurt. Mmmm....

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. There are a lot of games in the same universe that I'll have to play but currently this is my obsession. So far, I've spent 138 hours playing it pretty much close to the end I believe and I might start another game again who knows.

SVII

-Skrees in Adorable-
I found a new thing. MangaClassics. It is basically classics, like Jane Austen books and the likes, turned into Manga with really, really accurate depictions of the story itself. Of course they took their own liberties with the way the characters look, but it isn't overly Manganized! Just cuter... anime-ized. I kinda wonder if they would have something like.... Oh... I'd kinda like to see a "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" in a manga.

Does that exist? Lemme know... I need to know.

Alan

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Staff member
Key Holders
Well... when I'm not doing things with the guild in WoW...

... I'm doing things in Minecraft.

All in all, very good times!

Last edited: