• BCD will be closing as of March 31st. For details please check News and Updates!

Bug Tech Support and Bug Reports

jyncka

Mechanical Master
Staff member
King Of The Bedroom
Hello! I am the resident tech support person for BCD. If you find bugs on the site, please make use of this thread to report them. You can also PM me but reporting a bug here has the added benefit of other members dealing with the same issue seeing it and being notified when it's fixed.

Since I cannot be here all the time (though I am here a lot of the time), I encourage members to assist each other when you aren't sure of how to use a feature or if something just isn't working. And if all else fails, find a staff member and let them know you're having an issue so we can work to get it sorted out.

The goal is a smooth experience so everyone can focus on writing and chatting here.

TheLostPixel

Derposaurus Rex
  1. If the text bar is present and you start typing. This happens. It's a bit harry-carry.

https://i.gyazo.com/523e18630b8d2cb3253ff1d2e706ae01.mp4

2. It also starts messing with stuff like the list I have right here. Like if I go down two lines and start typing or backspace, it bumps out the first line and makes it no longer listed.

https://gyazo.com/8adad79179608dfc24e159dbde673754

3. Whenever you unwatch a thread. If you then go and reply to that thread after unwatching it, the thread re-watches itself.

4. Sometimes for no apparent reason when I try to post stuff with bbcode in it. A prompt comes up; 'whoops, please try posting a valid message'. Don't know what causes it exactly. Usually, if I copy and paste then refresh and paste whatever I'm trying to post in the text box, it'll work after that. Dunno what the cause exactly is.

5. If you type with bbcode mode toggled on (without rich text editor), turn RTE back on, then make more bbcode edits. Whatever edits you made with RTE will not save when you post. Need further testing to figure out of this is persistent.

Last edited:

Touch of Insanity

The Mad Queen
Staff member
Queen Of The Bedroom
3. I can answer this one! If you go to your settings, you should be able to change that.

Also could this issue be on the theme your using? I haven't had any issues with the purple or green one. Maybe switch over to one of the other themes and see if it's just that theme?

TheLostPixel

Derposaurus Rex
Yeah, I know that it's a setting. However, I'm pretty sure if you tick it off of a certain thread. It shouldn't re-tick it for you just cus you replied. Right?

jyncka

Mechanical Master
Staff member
King Of The Bedroom
The theme in question is Sleek Dark which appears to be unmaintained currently. This means it could be a problematic theme for some users - I'll keep trying to reproduce the errors, so far no dice.

Blizzer

Professional Stalker
Staff member
Key Holders
I noticed today when posted up a character sheet thing - that the coding seemed to disappear when I went to edit the thing after posting it up. Then if I edited again, sentences were jumbling around. o_o

Perhaps it's because I'm trying out the Sleek Dark theme, if that one is still problematic.

Oxenfree

how sweet to be a cloud
I noticed today when posted up a character sheet thing - that the coding seemed to disappear when I went to edit the thing after posting it up. Then if I edited again, sentences were jumbling around. o_o

Perhaps it's because I'm trying out the Sleek Dark theme, if that one is still problematic.
That is happening to me as well and I'm using the Shades of Grey theme. Odd.

jyncka

Mechanical Master
Staff member
King Of The Bedroom
Unfortunately, the Sleek Dark theme is not maintained by its developer which means I can't ask them to fix their bugs. I do plan on creating a dark theme much like the Twilight one in the future but it'll be a little bit before I can get to it. I'll make a post about the Sleek Dark theme for other users.

@Blizzer and @Oxenfree are you guys encountering the bug in the Resources section or when you create a new thread?

Blizzer

Professional Stalker
Staff member
Key Holders
It was in the character gallery for me. I've not yet encountered problems elsewhere, but haven't had much coding going on in my posts anyway.

I derped and said Resources but was wrong, it was in the character gallery. @jyncka

Last edited:

Blizzer

Professional Stalker
Staff member
Key Holders
Just gonna put this here, in case someone else experiences it as well. I can't seem to find the 'Post Thread' option in the Let's Talk forum when using the Twilight layout.

EDIT: There is no 'Post Thread' option for me no matter where I go when using the Twilight layout.

Last edited:

Here ... We ... Go!

Infernal Revenant
Think I found one, when you're using spoilers (at least in PM) and change the alignment of the text it'll create a second spoiler...

For example, something I'm working on for an RP:
July 1956, Entry One
They’ve asked me to start a journal, which they say will help them tell the difference between all of us… I figured it was easier to comply, and so I’m sitting here, staring at this paper, wishing I knew exactly what to say about me… Us. I don’t know the day, they say that proper treatment requires I relinquish some control so that they can truly connect… However they’re wonderful people, I wish they’d let me go on walks at times, but I think that if the outside’s as dangerous as they say perhaps it’s better I stay here. I saw something strange today, it seemed one of the guards had blood on his uniform, but they assured me it was just a spill after taking samples. I have to go, I’ve another array of tests they want me to go through, but it looks like the day will be good.
-Medicus​

July 1956, Entry Two​
Something’s wrong, I’ve tried to tell the others but they won’t listen to me… They fear me because I have the most control of the power father gifted us all, they see it as only dark, not understanding that dark and light are only shades, it’s the belief that lies behind such things that turn them into deadly phantoms or holy martyrs. good things can keep watch in the dark, and few of the horrifying things we’ve encountered would have been so bad had they been hidden in shadows… However I diverge,... As I said earlier, I keep telling them something is wrong but they don’t believe me, although a few consider my words. These men constantly scurry about us, taking blood… We do something they can’t even begin to understand and they want to figure out how, but also want it for themselves. I know all about bad sides of people, and these men don’t have much good in them…
-Umbra​

July 1956, Entry Three​
It seems that some of them went ahead and threw down a journal entry. Well, before we get too far ahead of ourselves I suppose I’d better explain everything. I’m Aequalis, not my birth name, probably not the name I’ll have at death either. We all have names, latin in origin, although none of us recall where exactly we got them, or the others aren’t talking… Most reading this are probably wondering why I keep saying “we” and “us” by now. I want you to relax and try to imagine what I have to tell you. In your body it’s just you, you’ve complete control, and the idea of someone taking over your body causes a roll of the eyes or a thought of a Magus. [The end of the sentence is crossed out, the word magus written in the margins with a massive question mark beneath] Well, we share a body, like you would turns on a stage. Everyone gets their time, and no one tries to take it from the other, a fragile truce that I maintain. There are quite a few of us, all different to one degree or another, although the ones that fight for the most spotlight would be Malum and Sanctus… We’ve been here for… 3 years? Four? Malum was the one in control when they caught us, murder was the charge, but she didn’t feel it was wrong, no the man was an asshole to his family… In fact I’ve a hard time telling her it was a bad thing to do, although I gave the same half hearted recording of what they told us. Not sure why we have to stay here so long, it’s not what they call prison, so I’m still confused.... Malum thinks that they’re simply using us, Medicus sees them as doing good, but that’s her flaw, always seeing good in people, even our father… Who was my father?
-Aequalis​

August, 1956. Entry 14​
Think we’re in trouble… They’ve begun to run us through rigid training courses, from hand to hand (which seems to be most of their strong suits), driving (we all enjoy it, although to be frank Malum’s too reckless and Medicus too worried to be good drivers), to shooting (we’re all good at that, although it seems we all prefer a bow…). Not only are they training, but they’ve begun to draw blood much more often, to the point that HEALER has had to take over quite a few times just to stabilize us… None of us envy that she had to break the stage order, after all if she didn’t we’d be strapped down to a bed, and she was willing to relinquish control once the body had been stabilized… However regardless of how many times we tell them they keep doing it, and the only voice that is against our opinions happens to be Sanctus, even Aequalis keeps silent on the issue now, meditating, thinking.

However the news isn’t entirely terrible. I’ve a track to do with as I will, and got a special glove today, a glove that fits me perfectly. The fingers are like drite claws… What’s a Drite? Why are our memories scattered?
-Venandi​

December, 1956. Entry 25​
Well, it seems that now it is my turn to speak of our situations, but first I find background is necessary. See, i was the lorekeeper, the information gatherer, the… Historian I suppose. While my memories still appear to be sorted through, some discarded some inaccessible… Interesting… Anyways I know a bit more than the rest, like our parents… Well I know who they were, but not faces, names or anything. Our mother was an Archangel, a powerful servitor of the Eternal Flame, almost a goddess in her own right. Our father was on the opposite ends of things, a a lord of dark... [Here dark has a single line running through it, elegantly crossed out] ...No, as Malum constantly points out dark isn’t necessarily evil or good which also applies to light, just common misconceptions. Our father was a Dread Lord, a king of wraiths and other foul denizens swearing faith to evil gods, or goddesses as the case may permit. I know nothing of our home, only that one day mother was slain, not by the same evil forces that gave birth to us (along with an archangel’s light) but an angel… For a long time Sanctus retreated, letting Malum have a much more vocal piece, although we all wanted revenge, I feel even Sanctus did to a degree, not that the kind hearted woman would ever admit it. We killed that angel, working together he didn’t offer much of a challenge… Although it’s rare that all of us work together, usually Malum and Sanctus fight, along with other smaller brawls… From that point we just went about destroying everyone connected to the goddess, eventually fighting a god ourselves… I think we killed it, but we lost so much power then, power I fear we’ll never quite regain… It’s also where we lost sight in our right eye, a lucky cut running straight down the side of our face. I constructed something… A sight weave? So we’d have some sense of people on our blind side, which while it doesn’t quite pick out where they are it works regardless of weather or lighting… Then we got thrown here, although it wasn’t the same time, it was… older… and… that’s all I remember… No it’s not we were cursed to watch all around us die but never join them… I think… Or was it something else?
-Sapientia​

March, 1956. Entry 45​
Well, we finally made our way out, but not nearly how we thought it’d go… We figured it’d be some big fight, something, but we woke up and they were just… Gone. We eventually found our way out, and after a few month’s of wandering found a city… Moscow… Now I want to travel…
-Aequalis​

[From here journal entries become further and further apart, although the scattered journal entries lead one to conclude she eventually made her way to the United States, although they abruptly end with the immigration.]

Post Immigration
The lights in the room were harsh, blinding Confracta, her eyes slit, one hand raised to cut the harsh glare. Suddenly the lights dimmed, revealing a short man in a well polished suit. “Is that better dear?” A nod met his word and he offered her a radiant smile, a bit too wide to be genuine, that or the man just had a sort of creepy smile… “I have to admit, the hair styles a bit… Unusual?” It was an icebreaker, something to get the woman in front of him to open up, save the heavy questions for later so she’d not even realize as important secrets treacherously slipped off her tongue. After all, this was the 60’s, who knew what foreign spies were trying to slip into the country. “Now, do you’ve a name you prefer to go by right now, or should I use what was on your papers?”

She chuckled a bit, her hands spreading with a shrug, the lack of care obvious. “Names are such petty things, given much too importance, so whatever you wish. As for my hair… It’s been like that since birth.” Yes, the perfectly drawn line of light and dark, balance, equality.

The answers brought another blazing smile from the man, who thought the interrogation was going good, if she was a spy she was clearly an amateaur. Never did he consider that the woman in front of him was completely oblivious of the current political stage, only wandering to the country because it was somewhere new. “Well Miss… Confracta? What language is that?” He hadn’t sat down, standing a bit above her, gazing down at her. This close she could smell his deodorant, along with the dab of vanilla cologne and the sharp undercut of aftershave. Her icy eyes lazily met his chestnut ones, not a hint of worry in her own, if anything filled with a sense of boredom that even the best spy would have a hard time mimicking.

“Latin.” She didn’t bother offering a translation, he could put the effort forward himself if he really wanted to know, she didn’t really care. Finally the man sat down across the table from her, his hands steepled, just staring at her, not saying anything. A quiet brow arched in response, the women in front of him not going to be the first to break the silence. The two stared at each other for a long moment, a silent test of wills before the man cleared his throat, continuing with his questioning.

“Well… I suppose this is where I ask about the airport officials…” His tone was prodding, trying to motivate her back to speech, and he completely missed the few light strands of hair that had spread through the darker side, the woman across from him now someone else, if not fully in appearance than personality.

“We’re not big on the whole touch thing, some less so than others.” Her voice was sweet, although there was a hint of underlying steel to it. Good didn’t mean helpless or hesitant to act after all. “I don’t mind it too much, but sometimes you might grab the wrong person. Their mistake was just grabbing her, a gentle word would have worked so much better… Although we might’ve overreacted a bit...” She hadn’t even realized she’d let the Confracta cover slip, although the man in front of her had definitely noticed the shift.

“Who are we? Also you said ‘her’... Was there someone else with you at the airport?”” The question caused a flicker of alarm to cross Sanctus’s face although she said nothing. “It’s a bit late to clam up isn’t it dear? Just answer the questions and you can be on your way. It’s not hard, they are just words after all.”

“Words have so much more power then you know young man… so much more.”

Bastet

Stranger
Hello, after a like 2 weeks away I tried to post to RP in PM. It was nothing different than any other posts I usually write and yet I get this message:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

Please help?